AFC Conference Matchup
Point Spread: Chargers -3.5 | Total Points: 40
Coming into this week’s AFC matchup vs the Jets, the Chargers have a below .500 record at 3-4. In their last game, the Chargers played host to the Bears and won by a score of 30-13. Against the spread, the Chargers’ 17-point win was enough to cover as 9.5-point favorites. The pre-game over/under line in their most recent game vs. Chicago was 45.5. The teams fell short of this figure with 43 points.
Coming into this week 9 AFC matchup, the Jets are in the middle of a three-game winning streak and have an above .500 record of 4-3. After a 13-10 victory over the Giants, the Jets are looking for another win in week 9. The Jets’ 3-point win was not enough to cover the spread, as they were 3-point favorites. Each side finished with an ATS push. In the Jets’ latest game, the under bettors were correct as the teams totaled 23 points, below the line of 35 points.
Los Angeles Chargers vs New York Jets History
The Chargers and Jets did not have any head-to-head matchups last season. But over the last three times playing each other, the Chargers have a record of 3-0. Against the spread, each team went 1-1-1 and finished with an over/under mark of 2-1. These games averaged a combined 37 points per contest.
- When looking at their past five road matchups, Los Angeles has an ATS record of 2-3 while averaging 25 per game. The team went 1-4 overall in these games.
- Through their last three home games, New York has an ATS record of just 1-1-1. However, their overall record was 2-1 while averaging 18 points per game.
- Through their last three games as the underdog, the Jets have an ATS record of 3-0 and a straight-up mark of 2-1.
- Los Angeles has done well both straight up and vs the spread when favored to win the game, going 3-2 SU and 3-2 ATS in their last five games.
Los Angeles Chargers
- Jalen Guyton – Knee (Questionable)
- Gerald Everett – Hip (Probable)
- Mike Williams – Knee (Out)
- Corey Linsley – Heart (Out)
- Otito Ogbonnia – Kneecap (Questionable)
- JT Woods – Illness (Out)
- Eric Kendricks – Ribs (Questionable)
- Morgan Fox – Oblique (Questionable)
- Justin Herbert – Left Finger (Probable)
- Joshua Palmer – Knee (Questionable)
- Amechi Uzodinma – Undisclosed (Out)
- Raheem Layne – Knee (Out)
- Andrew Trainer – Undisclosed (Out)
New York Jets
- Wes Schweitzer – Calf (Out)
- Connor McGovern – Knee (Out)
- Chuck Clark – Knee (Out)
- Ifeadi Odenigbo – Undisclosed (Out)
- Justin Hardee – Hamstring (Out)
- Al Woods – Achilles (Out)
- Aaron Rodgers – Achilles (Out)
- Duane Brown – Shoulder/hip (Questionable)
- Randall Cobb – Shoulder (Probable)
- Bradlee Anae – Undisclosed (Out)
- Kenny Yeboah – Hamstring (Out)
- Alijah Vera-Tucker – Achilles (Out)
- Joe Tippmann – Quad (Questionable)
- Irvin Charles – Shoulder (Probable)
- Laken Tomlinson – Hamstring (Questionable)
- Mekhi Becton – Knee (Questionable)
- Chazz Surratt – Ankle (Questionable)
- Xavier Gipson – Ankle (Questionable)
Keys To Victory: Los Angeles Chargers
If the Chargers are going to pull off the win, they will be leaning on quarterback Justin Herbert and the league’s 9th ranked scoring offense. For the season, Herbert is averaging 270 passing yards per game through the air. This figure has him sitting 12th among quarterbacks. Herbert comes in with a passer rating of 101.1 and is averaging 10.9 yards per completion. Keenan Allen has been targeted 74 times this season, and has caught 54 passes this season. He comes into the game with a total of 643 receiving yards. On the ground, the Chargers have carried the ball an average of 26.7 times per game and currently rank 22nd in rushing yards. Their average rushing yards per attempt is 3.5.
Keys To Victory: New York Jets
As the Jets prepare to take on the Los Angeles, Zach Wilson has the team ranked 30th in passing yards per game, and is ranked 26th among quarterbacks in yards through the air. What makes their production in the passing game impressive, is that they are averaging just 31.3 attempts per game. Wide receiver Garrett Wilson is pacing the Jets with 469 receiving yards. Overall he has 39 catches on 68 targets. Even though the New York offense is averaging 4.7 yards per attempt, they are below average unit in overall rushing yards. So far, the Jets are 18th in rushing yards per contest.
- Although Los Angeles has a straight up record of 1-4 in their last five road games, they have not held up as well vs the spread going 2-3. The team averaged 25 points per game in these games.
- Across the Jets last three home games, the team averaged 18 points per game while allowing 20. Their record vs the spread in these contests was 1-1-1, while going 2-1 straight-up.
- In their last five games as the betting underdog, the Jets have a straight up record of 2-3 and an ATS mark of 3-2.
- Through their last three games as the favorite, the Chargers have an ATS record of 3-0 and a straight up mark of 3-0.
- Los Angeles Chargers 24 – New York Jets 20